Having a general volunteer policy provides a foundation for your volunteer program. It sets out why and how you will involve volunteers in your work.
Writing a volunteer policy will help to:
- Clarify volunteer roles and responsibilities
- Establish values, beliefs and direction for volunteer involvement
- Ensure continuity over time and from staff to staff
- Formalise current practice.
This document will underpin volunteer management in your organisation.
When writing your policy, think about:
- How you involve volunteers in your organisation
- How you will protect their rights
- Who is responsible for managing volunteers
- The benefits of involving volunteers.
This links to National Standards for Involving Volunteers No.1 – Policies and procedures.