Victorian communities have been devastated by fires and floods in the last few years and our hearts go out to the people affected by these natural disasters.
Many people want to help out and lend a hand to these communities – and volunteering is often the first thing we think of.
This section looks at some of the important ways you can help during an emergency.
Get involved early
The best thing to do is get involved with a local volunteer-based organisation well before a disaster strikes. That way you will already have all the necessary background checks and a membership with the volunteering group.
Local councils often rely on established volunteer-based organisations that can support and coordinate their own volunteers for relief and recovery efforts.
Become an emergency services volunteer
In an emergency, only trained volunteers who are already members of an organisation are called to hand. Some services respond during an emergency to protect people and property, while others need trained volunteers to assist in relief centres.
Get involved with an Emergency Services organisation and gain the experience, training and essential skills required.
Other ways to help
- Do not travel to affected areas - it may still be unsafe for you to do so.
- Do not call the local council - they are busy coordinating immediate relief for their community.
Donations and fundraising
If you are not already involved in a local volunteer organisation, making a cash donation to an official appeal or to a registered charity is the best way to help out.
Register to HelpOUT
Through Volunteering Victoria’s HelpOUT, everyday Victorians can register their interest in helping communities impacted by an emergency. HelpOUT then matches people with rewarding opportunities that meet identified community needs by partnering with the organisations on the ground in affected communities.
People who want to volunteer can:
- Easily register their interest and availability online or over the phone
- Specify their preferred availability and the skills they can offer
- Be contacted by Volunteering Victoria’s HelpOUT team and offered suitable volunteering opportunities as they become available